Saturday, July 3, 2010

Why the SNP are unfit to govern

This may be a slightly old subject but with the upcoming Scottish Parliament elections less than a year away I wanted to say something about the SNP and their handling of the release of the Lockerbie bomber. Now, most Americans thought of Scotland as being a quaint little place full of kilts and haggis until this episode unfolded. Most Americans were aware of the occurrences of that fateful night in 1988 but they had moved and and were satisfied that the perpetrator had been brought to justice. Until the SNP stepped in. Now, I should preface this by saying that I am a proud Scot, probably even more so now that I am an ex-pat. Never in my life have I been ashamed to be a Scot. Never, in my entire time with the supposedly anti-Scottish Tory party did I feel remotely ashamed to be Scottish. Until the SNP stepped in. With their frankly bizarre decision to release Mr Megrahi they achieved what i thought was impossible. I had people hear my accent and ask me why this guy was being released. These were just normal Americans that were distraught, not angry but distraught at seeing this mass murderer go free. And you know what? I had no idea what to say. I just felt ashamed. So there you go. The Party that is supposedly pro Scotland, the Party that is supposedly the defender of the Scottish race achieved what I thought was impossible. They made me ashamed to be Scottish!

Now, what could the reasons be? Compassion? Aye right. This was nothing other than a desperate attempt to be seen as relevant on the world stage. Well I can tell you it backfired spectacularly in the USA. The standing of Scotland and her proud reputation has been damaged and in my opinion it will take several years to be built back up again. So wee Eck and his cohorts have had a shot. We all thought it was time for a change but they have shown that they are unfit to govern and must be kicked out next May.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Me in my natural state

Me in my natural state
mmmmm, tasty